haiti
Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you.
Isaiah 54:10
I have a heavy heart for what is going on in Haiti. It seems like it was weeks ago that the earthquake hit, yet it will be a week tomorrow. I have found in the past when terrible things have happened to people and it’s all over the news…I have tuned it out. Simply changed the channel, turned off the TV, avoided it on the internet, skipped over it in the paper…and gone on with my day. It hurts too much. It stirs something in my heart that I deny and so I “turn it off”. I don’t want my heart to be heavy or burdened…I don’t want to fear or be consumed with that fear. I don’t want to be in the reality of it…so I think I can protect myself by living in a “bubble”.
What is true: God is bigger than that. Bigger than my fears, bigger than this earthquake. He is bigger than death and has conquered it.
I think for me, I must watch and read. Not out of fear, but out of a heavy and burdened heart for these people that only God can heal and restore. It’s so easy to go about our day and not think twice about what is going on in Haiti. Out of sight, out of mind. But this time, I’m not. God is not going to allow fear and pain and sadness to paralyze me…but instead bring me to a place of calling out for his Almighty Sovereignty.
The news said this morning that they have recovered 70 people and buried at least 70,000. The news also said that supplies are needed but more than anything money…to back up everything needed for this relief effort.
One place you can give is through the American Red Cross. Go here for more information.
Comments