Lizzy's Do's and Dont's
We got this book at the library last week and I just love it. I know this sounds maybe a little silly but it sort of makes me teary-eyed. I don't have a daughter but it can still apply (most of the things) to little boys and can definitely apply to parents. Enjoy.
"It seemed to Lizzy, all her mother ever said was DON'T!
Don't shout indoors. Don't tickle so hard.
Don't leave your party shoes in the yard.
Don't take the deck and lose one card.
Don't, don't, don't!
Don't climb in trees containing bees.
Don't put 10 Band-Aids on your knees.
Don't cut your hair. Don't argue, please.
Don't, don't, don't!
Don't try to reach what's out of reach.
Don't bring the sand home from the beach.
Don't feed the kitty cat a peach.
Don't, don't, don't!
Don't hold your breath 'til you turn blue.
Don't lick the dog, though he licks you.
Don't keep that lizard in my shoe!
Don't, don't, don't!
"Okay, okay, okay, okay," said Lizzy. "It's MY turn!"
Don't say I can't do so much stuff.
Don't huff and puff.
Don't act too tough.
Don't say 2 chocolates are enough!
Don't, don't, don't!
Don't make me wear that yellow dress.
Don't always say my hair's a mess.
Don't always say my hair's a mess.
Don't say no when you could say yes.
Don't, don't, don't!
Don't hide my candy up so high.
Don't put nuts in the apple pie.
Don't put nuts in the apple pie.
When I ask why, don't frown and sigh.
Don't, don't, don't!
Don't say to me "You should have known."
Don't chat, chat, chat on the telephone.
Don't lick so much of my ice-cream cone.
Don't, don't, don't!
"Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay!" said Lizzy's Mom,
"The word don't is a tiresome thing to say!"
They thought about it for a little while, then Lizzy said....
Do hold me close when I am scared.
Do teach me how to be prepared.
Do teach me how to be prepared.
Do take my bike to get repaired.
Do, do, do!
Do help me dress up like a wizard.
Do take me sledding in a blizzard.
Do please let me keep the lizard.
Do, do, do!
Do, do, do!
Do tell a fairy tale to me.
Do rock me gently on your knee.
Do, because....
I love you!
Yes, I do, do, do!
Then Lizzy's mother smiled and said,
"Okay, now it's my turn."
Do climb a tree as high as you dare.
Do put some daisies in your hair.
Do tell me when life seems unfair.
Do, do, do!
Do please be glad or mad or sad.
Do wear pink polka dots with plaid.
Do tell some secrets to your dad.
Do, do, do!
Do help me zipper up my dress.
Do tell me if my hair's a mess.
Do ask me if I love you...
Yes! I do, DO, DO!"
By Jessica Harper
Comments