mama d’s vegetable soup
It was a cold, chilly day yesterday. Perfect for Mama D’s vegetable soup. Her birthday is on Thanksgiving this year. Hard to believe my mother-in-law has been gone almost 9 years in January. I cherish the little cookbook she made me the last Christmas we were together. It is composed of Andy’s favorite recipes. I “day dream” from time to time of what she would think about our 3 buckaroos. And how she would love to see Andy as a Daddy. I have very sweet memories of her even though our time together was short.
We had her soup along with a cheese bread recipe from my sister. It was perfect together. And why not pair all of that with some homemade chocolate chip cookies and coffee. Ok, I was in the cooking mood! We rented the movie Planes and all snuggled up on the couches. I grabbed my knitting {I’m attempting a new style of scarf} and I sat and soaked in the sweetness with my family. If I could I would have frozen time. Cold night, warm blankets inside a warm home. Age 8, 5 and 2. It was joy to my heart. A gift from the Lord. Thank you for Jesus for letting me experience this moment.
Mama D’s Vegetable Soup:
1 can of pinto beans
1 bag of mixed vegetables
2 small potatoes cut into small pieces
1 small handful of pasta of your choice
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 large can of tomato sauce
2 cups of water
1 pound of ground beef
1/2 small onion diced
Brown the ground beef and add onion. {Drain if needed.}
All all other ingredients, simmer about an hour.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
{Soup is better the 2nd day. Add about 1 cup of water to soup as needed.}
Comments