holy week: the nails
Fix your eyes on the Crucified and nothing else will be of much importance to you. –Interior Castle
Each nail hammered into the body of the savior of the world shouts out these words- “HE LOVES US!” How can we doubt someone who gave everything for us? –Alister McGrath
I have been blah this week. I can’t quite figure out why. I can’t really put my finger on it. Except one thing comes to my soul…this is the week Jesus prepares to die for my sins. I read this morning in Matthew 26:36-46 how Jesus went to Gethsemane with his disciples. He asked two of his disciples to stay with him and keep watch over him because his soul was overwhelmed to the point of death. As he went to pray to his Father {God} he came back to find his disciples, his friends, asleep.
“Could you men not keep watch over me for one hour?” Matthew 26: 40
He went out and prayed two more times and each time he came back they were asleep.
I read this story before but this time it was different. I just hurt for Jesus. His own friends could not stay awake and pray for him.
And I thought to myself…have I done this? Have I told friends and family I will pray for them and then didn’t. Have I been a wakeful friend, wife, daughter, mother when my loved ones are in need of prayer?
It was a bit of a prick to my heart that I really needed.
It was also a reminder that I need to spend time in prayer to the Lord. To converse with him. To thank him. To tell him of my fears. To ask him for forgiveness. To tell him I love him.
So I’m blah. So what.
Maybe I need to be blah to be reminded of the crucifixion. To be reminded of my brokenness and that I need Jesus.
Comments