security in Christ
Wow. Little did I know after writing that last post on Friday that a couple hours later we would hear about the horrific school shooting in Connecticut. My stomach hurt and I really wanted to go and get Wyatt out of school but something in me…in us…told us not too. Fear is NOT from the Lord.
Andy and I have had tons of conversations over the last 3 days about this tragedy. As a parent of a 7 year old I am on pins and needles to send him to school the rest of this coming week. Andy said this so well…it’s so true…the only security we have is in Christ.
That’s it people. We are never guaranteed tomorrow. This I do know. This “place” is not my home. I love the quote from C.S. Lewis If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.
We can only have hope and security in Jesus. That’s our only guarantee. This tragedy, as we know, could happen anywhere. At the store, at church, in the movie theater, in our own home. I can not live my life in fear and keep Wyatt {or our other children} from going to school. I can not be paralyzed by this event and never leave my house.
I firmly believe the Lord was there that day with those children. “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
I picked Wyatt up from school on Friday and asked him how his day was…It was great Mama. I had a great day.
He doesn’t know what happened on Friday. I started to take him to get his haircut and then turned around once I got in the parking lot. I knew people would be talking and I didn’t want him to hear about it. He and Andy ran errands on Saturday and I told him to not turn on the radio because I knew it would come over the radio station.
There is only so much I can control. I can almost guarantee he will come home this week and ask me about it because he will have heard it from someone at school. This is real life. As much as I want to shield my children from pain…I can’t. But as parents we can point them to Christ. We can teach them how to love people. How to forgive people. How to care for others. But it takes more than talking…it takes action. This is something Andy and I have talked about quite a bit over the last few months. What can we as a family do to show Jesus to others. To love people well. “Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also the interests of others.” Philippians 2:4
Fear is paralyzing. I know this personally…but it doesn’t have to be. My hope, for myself, is that I would not look to the media, social networks, friends, Andy to be my security…but to look to the Word of God. To go back to what I know is true. What does God say? What are His promises?
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3
I will not cause pain without allowing something new to be born, says the Lord. Isaiah 66:9
When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I. Psalm 61:2
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let them by afraid. John 14:27
We are praying for these families who have lost their sweet loved ones. Praying the breath of God would be upon them.
Comments