epi pen
Last night Josie had a severe allergic reaction to, we think, eggs. It was one of the scariest moments I have ever experienced and I’m thankful for my husband who does not panic when I do. It’s a long story but we ended up going to Children’s Hospital around 9:15 last night and they ended up admitting her after concern that her breathing could be compromised. She has been sick this past week and having croup {at 3 months old} in the past does not help because on top of this allergic reaction she was having a little bit of stridor {harsh breathing}…so with her age and the circumstances, the doctor decided it would be best to stay. And we were thankful that her breathing/oxygen would be monitored.
We may have gotten about 2 or 3 hours of sleep. Josie was not easy. She did not like the hospital crib so I ended up holding her much of the night. They gave her an oral steroid and it took probably 3-4 hours for the swelling and hives to go down.
These pictures do not do it justice but her ears, lips, eyes, face were extremely swollen. She also had hives all over her body.
pitiful baby
10000 times better this morning!
So what’s next? Well I am slightly freaked out. Hopefully in the next couple weeks {preferably next week!} we are to get her in with an allergist to figure all this out. She has had a reaction to blueberry and strawberry…so we need to have some testing done. In the meantime she finishes up with her oral steroid over the next 2 days aaaannndddd we now have epi pens in case something happens like it did last night.
Josie had a hard time in the hospital. Obviously just so uncomfortable, not able to get down and very very tired. It was exhausting dealing with her. I know, that sounds awful. After I complained to Andy, my heart hurt for these Mamas {and Daddies too} that have sick kids that are in and out of the hospital all the time. That have diseases and pain, illnesses and heartache. Oh Lord, thank you for your protection. For your blessings! Thank you for doctors and nurses and medicine. Thank you for healing. Thank you that you never leave us, that nothing surprises you and that nothing slips through your hands.
Comments