colorado day one: planes, trains and automobiles

IMG_1165

We made it! Colorado…yahoo! We are serving at a YL camp this month and we are thrilled to be back in Colorado! It’s been about 4 years since we were here last and Wyatt was just a little man. This is definitely an adventure with 3 kids!

I really have been thinking of this as an adventure with my family. Packing up for a month, not having a car for a month, flying out there with our kids, watching the excitement in our kids as we meet new friends and try new things….and we are not even to camp yet! We actually stay in a hotel for the first few nights since camp is going on with the first session team…this also gives us a chance to meet and “bond” with the group of people we are with this month. I’ll be honest, the hotel is not my favorite part…I’m ready to get to camp and get set up and start to get on a routine. However, this is temporary and while it is crazy trying to adjust our kids to the new time change {2 hour difference}, and live out of a bag for a few days…it’s an adventure.

IMG_1167

We started our trip off by not packing until 6pm the night before and I still had 4 loads of laundry to do. We went to bed at 2 am, up at 6, left house at 8:30, and literally we were running to catch our flight! The line was unusually long to get through security and of course Andy gets randomly picked to be “searched”, while they also tested/scanned the baby applesauce twice. At this time they were calling our names over the intercom and the gate was closing in 2 minutes. We were about to miss our flight. Andy grabbed Boone up and we all ran {me pushing Josie in her stroller, with me not having any shoes on…I had to take off for security…that’s how close we were pushing it}! We got on our flight and we were not together. I don’t like to fly. At all. I have a lot of anxiety about flying but I have not had any time to even be anxious! I think that was a huge answer to pray. I was bummed not to be near Andy but I had Wyatt and Josie with me in the middle of the plane and Andy was up front with Boone. Baby girl did ok. Not great, but ok. Thankfully we had a direct flight and Andy was able to take her for half the time. Wyatt loved it all! This was his first time flying that he could actually remember it. I kept my anxiety to myself because I didn’t want to pass my fears on to him. Even during some turbulence he didn’t think a thing of it…where as I was wanting to hold his hand. Ha! When we got off the plane Boone kept saying “that was so much fun”. He said that probably 10 times.

We then hopped on a “train” to take us to baggage claim and from there had to get on a shuttle bus to take us to the rental car {only had car for 2 days}, where we had to wait an insanely long time to get our car, to drive us 2 hours to camp. Talk about exhausted!!! But grateful. Grateful for a safe trip. Grateful for seeing new places and small towns. Grateful for no humidity and cool mornings and evenings. Grateful Young Life lets us all stay together as a family. Grateful for meeting new friends. Grateful for serving an awesome God.

There’s more to come. The adventure has only just begun.

Comments

Drew Miller said…
yay!! you all made it one piece! cant wait to hear more, and I am so thankful for answers to prayers about flying!
notes of em said…
ummm yeah. that was me:)
em
gptramell said…
Thankful for a safe trip for all of you! Miss you greatly but appreciate the work you guys are doing out there with YL! Much love and hugs from TN!

Popular Posts