no breaks today…or much lately

I knew it. I knew Boone wouldn’t nap. I could just feel it. Sense it. He has been napping every other day or so. And today I knew he would not nap. It’s been an hour. He’s gone from talking, to playing, to crying. I think with the cold weather and being stuck inside, he’s not burning any energy. He’s not getting hot and sweaty playing outside and therefore not needing a rest. Or he is just giving up his nap? He turned 2 1/2 this past week and he has turned into a different child. I really am trying to figure out how to parent him. The past few weeks have been a struggle. We’ve had LOTS of talking back.  Errr, not good. Yes, my 2 and half year old is talking back! Wyatt didn’t do this! Oh wait, Wyatt didn’t have an older brother to learn from. Oh wait, that means Wyatt is talking back to us. One little secret to parenting I have learned: consistency. And really, to me, it’s one of the hardest things to accomplish. Because you have to do it ALL THE TIME! That’s pretty exhausting.

Boone goes to Mother’s Day Out one day a week. FREEDOM. It’s wonderful and it goes by way too fast. He loves his teachers. Loves school. Loves all his little buddies. So yesterday I asked Ms. Robin and Ms. Renee if Boone was listening and obeying them….and they laughed. In a sweet way. {They are the sweetest women, seriously.} And I knew. I knew he was giving them a hard time as well. So I told them things were going to have change at home. We are going to have to be more consistent with our discipline of Boone…and Wyatt because he is learning so much of it from him! Just when things with Wyatt are getting easier…Boone is getting harder.

Boone: That’s stinky! Oooo Yucky! No way!

These are his top 3 “sayings”.

The best is when he crosses his arms and sticks his nose in the air. Hmmm, wonder where he got that Wyatt.

DSC_0119

It is hard sometimes to resist those big big brown eyes…sweet little nose…and precious little mouth. I have let my it’s just so cute get in the way of discipline because it’s not cute when he yells at me saying No way and runs off. Yes, we are going to have to change some things up around here.

I am reminded today of a verse my sweet friend Marla has given me and I am encouraged. I/we don’t have to parent alone. We have a Father who is with us and will guide us. Who loves us and our children with such a deep deep love.

“He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.” Isaiah 40:11

Comments

Popular Posts