crazy clothes day
Wyatt has been looking forward to this day since last week. Today was Crazy Clothes Day at school. It’s all about learning the letter “C”…so they get to dress all crazy and come to school. So I’m thinking he is going to go ALL OUT. At 7:30 he was ready to get dressed and head to school which I reminded him no one will be there if we leave now. I sent him on to get dressed up. I told him to be crazy. Wear the craziest thing you can think of. I gave him some suggestions and he came out like this….
Wow, Boone really wanted to take this picture. Haha.
A Dad Thinks He’s In Charge shirt, regular shorts, some Spiderman socks and his “skate” shoes. I was confused. Concerned. A little shocked. This is my child that wants to wear winter clothes in the summer and summer clothes in the winter. He wants to wear socks with his flip-flops and tuck his shirts in all the way to his belly button and beyond. He likes to wear collared shirts with tank tops over them. He loves wearing his “pirate shirt” and Toy Story shirt…both which are way too small. What happened?
This was his idea. Not mine. We get to school and kids have on some crazy outfits and his teacher was decked out…it was awesome. I was hoping Wyatt was not going to be disappointed in his outfit. To him, it was crazy. He picked out his outfit…finding the perfect socks to wear and a funny shirt. He wasn’t disappointed. I often realize that I am so concerned about ME. That my child is a reflection of me. {And yes, to a degree he is…I mean I birthed him.} How I look parenting. Does he have the “right” clothes on. The right shoes. The right snacks. The right haircut. The right attitude. The right manners and respect to other people. The right behavior. Some of those are important and some of those are not, but I am learning to let go of expectations I have for my big boy. Yes, I have expectations for him. I want him to have the Lord in his heart. I want him to be kind to others. To love the Lord. To have a tender heart for others. To be a godly man. To love his wife and his children, someday. To tell them about Jesus. Those expectations are so much richer than what he is wearing and how his hair looks. I think the Lord is teaching me to nurture him rather than shaping him into what I want Wyatt to be. That-is-really-hard. Even as I write this it’s hard to hold back tears.
Ok, so thanks to Crazy Clothes Day I’ve had a “moment”. It was just yesterday I was holding him in my arms and rocking him to sleep. And then I blinked and he is almost 5! Sorry, I know my thoughts are all over the place…
We dressed Boone for Crazy Clothes Day…Wyatt picked out his outfit. Ha. Don’t you love the stripes and plaid?
Comments