joy-in the dead of winter
We went to the mountains this past weekend with Andy’s side of the family to do Christmas. This is the second year we have done this and it’s amazing that all can be there. I’m talking 30+ people. Where we were staying there was not snow so we decided to take a little trip up the mountain and sure enough found snow. It was f.r.e.e.z.i.n.g. But oh so beautiful.
So how are you doing? Christmas is over. New Year’s over. Kids are going back to school.
We are slowly getting back into a normal routine. Trying to stay warm. I will tell you that cold weather absolutely does not effect Wyatt. He asked me this morning if we could go outside and work in the yard. The boy still wants to wear shorts and t-shirts. Really. So when we are inside, I let him. And sometimes I let him wear a short-sleeved shirt and a jacket when we go out. There are some battles I just have to choose. For me, I am trying to be in a more still place. Trying to find joy in the dead of winter. Trying to stop expecting joy to come from other people or from circumstances. But finding Joy in the Lord. In the last few weeks I have noticed my desire to pick up my camera has been very few and far between. My desire to blog has been few and far between. This is a sweet age with Boone, but I quickly forgot how much energy it took to keep up with an 18-month-old who is curious and into everything. In fact we are still unpacking boxes and trying to get organized from our move. You can’t get much done when Boone is awake.
I’m thankful the gift-giving season is over. Is that terrible to say? Wyatt would ask about buying toys or presents whenever we went somewhere. We got to the mountains on Friday and didn’t open gifts until Saturday night. He asked about every 30 minutes when we were going to open presents. I wanted to pull my hair out. But then there are the sweet innocent questions he asks that remind me of how little he is …like last night when I was putting him to bed he asked me if God and Jesus had matching hair…and what does Heaven look like. That makes me laugh and cry all at the same time.
So maybe my lack of picture-taking and blogging are ways the Lord is teaching me to slow down and find joy in the moment. To be in the moment. Maybe I’ll learn to play better with my kids and have more patience with them. Maybe this winter season I’ll learn how to be better serve my husband and kids.
Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them." Psalm 126:2
Comments