his hip


Wyatt, in the past 2 months, has 2 times buckled...as in fell to the ground, not able to bear weight on his leg, crying, can't walk kind of pain. He has not fallen or run into anything to cause the pain...it just happens out of the blue. He also did this at about 19 months old. That was the first time it happened and now 2 times in the past 2 months. Last Sunday it happened causing him to have the worst limp I have ever seen. So Monday I took him to our pediatrician where they x-rayed his knee and hip and found nothing wrong. Our pediatrician really wanted to keep pursuing the problem so he referred us to a pediatric orthopedic who we saw today.

When this has happened Wyatt screams out in pain and cries, then sits down for awhile for the pain to go away, then he's ready to keep playing. On Monday he showed no signs of being in pain, just a major limp. Of course it was gone the next day which also happened the last 2 times, so the dr. today didn't have a lot to go on. They did x-rays and everything looks healthy...which we are so thankful for. It's amazing as a parent what all runs through your mind and causes you to worry. I have constantly had to ask God to guard my thoughts and I have felt the Lord remind me that His love is greater than we could ever fathom.

The only thing the dr. thought it could be was transient synovitis/toxic synovitis which is basically inflammation of the hip joint. He thought it was odd that Wyatt has had more than one episode of this occurring but reassured me he is a healthy boy. It still makes me wonder why he would be having this kind of pain at such a young age. If it does happen again we were told to document everything that happened leading up to the pain and to bring him back in. The last resort would be an MRI and he would have to be sedated and we just pray we don't have to go down that road.

I am thankful again for healthy bones and a healthy 3 1/2 year old. Hopefully no more episodes will occur. We had to run a few errands after our appointment and I got Wyatt this super cute {batman} shirt. I can't believe I'm really saying that, but it's kind of got the "vintage" feel to it and so I think it's cool. He kept saying, "Mommy this is the one I was telling you about..."-we got the last one. I love his the rolls still in his cheeks. It just reminds me of how little he still is.

Comments

Katie said…
Liv! Sorry for all the dr visits and the worries. so encouraged by you taking those worries captive and entrusting them to our Heavenly Father though! glad to hear that all seems well with wyatt. i know that these episodes must be scary and hard for you (and wyatt of course)! please keep me updated on how things are going. hopefully no more though and all will be great from here! love you!

Popular Posts