trust your gut
Since Tuesday Boone has had this really strange cry. It sounds like his voice is hoarse. Even when he "talks" it sounds a little hoarse. Tuesday morning he was ready to eat. However he had a humongous poopy diaper that I had to change. Of coarse he does not like for me to change his diaper when he's ready to eat - but I had to. He was screaming/crying from the top of his lungs that I was shocked it didn't wake everyone in the house up. So I thought possibly his voice was "hoarse" from that, I know that sounds funny, but it sort of seemed to make sense. Throughout the day I noticed he didn't want to eat as much and his little cry was pathetic. Andy and I thought maybe he was getting sick so we would see how he was in the morning and then go from there.
Yesterday morning same kind of cry so I decided to call the doctor. Ok, I have now decided I am not going to speak to the nurse anymore over the phone but instead just take my kids in...might as well considering she diagnosed him over the phone and she was COMPLETELY WRONG. She went over all these questions for me to answer and going off of his "hoarse voice and that he was not eating as much as normal" -he had the CROUP. Really? I just didn't buy it. Wyatt had the croup last year and this was nothing like what he had. Boone was in a great mood, laughing, smiling. No runny nose, no coughing, no "barking", no congestion, no fussiness, no fever. But according to the nurse, who was probably just reading something off the internet, he had the croup and was CONTAGIOUS and that I didn't need to bring him in but if I did I would need to bring him on the "sick side".
Ok so I hang up the phone, still questioning her "diagnosis", and then called back to make my sick appointment because I was going to have a doctor check him out. I get there early and still didn't see the doctor until an hour later! Thankfully Boone was in a good mood and my mom was keeping Wyatt.
So the doc comes in checks him out and he has ACID REFLUX. The doctor (not our regular pediactrian, but a different one...who is also a lactation consultant) checked Boone out...no redness in the throat, no ear infection, chest sounds good, no fever...starts asking me questions about how he eats.
Does he hiccup? Yes, quite a bit.
He has also been pulling off of me and then back on while he's eating. He's also been very squirmy when he eats. And really likes being held upright most of the time.
It was all making sense. The only thing is Boone does not spit up. She informed me they do NOT have to spit up to have acid reflux. And because of the reflux it was causing his cry/voice to be scratchy and hoarse. Seriously? I was told he had the croup!
So Boone is now on medicine for his reflux...bummer. But it won't be forever and it will help him- I hope. Poor guy.
So I had to expose my 3 month old to the sick waiting room because I had called the nurse line and was told he had croup and was contagious. Awesome. I am very thankful I went to find out what the real problem was and get some help for him. So moms out there trust your gut, your motherly instinct, the good Lord gave it to us for a reason.
By the way Boone is 15 lbs 3 oz I guess the reflux is not getting too much in the way of him eating.
Yesterday morning same kind of cry so I decided to call the doctor. Ok, I have now decided I am not going to speak to the nurse anymore over the phone but instead just take my kids in...might as well considering she diagnosed him over the phone and she was COMPLETELY WRONG. She went over all these questions for me to answer and going off of his "hoarse voice and that he was not eating as much as normal" -he had the CROUP. Really? I just didn't buy it. Wyatt had the croup last year and this was nothing like what he had. Boone was in a great mood, laughing, smiling. No runny nose, no coughing, no "barking", no congestion, no fussiness, no fever. But according to the nurse, who was probably just reading something off the internet, he had the croup and was CONTAGIOUS and that I didn't need to bring him in but if I did I would need to bring him on the "sick side".
Ok so I hang up the phone, still questioning her "diagnosis", and then called back to make my sick appointment because I was going to have a doctor check him out. I get there early and still didn't see the doctor until an hour later! Thankfully Boone was in a good mood and my mom was keeping Wyatt.
So the doc comes in checks him out and he has ACID REFLUX. The doctor (not our regular pediactrian, but a different one...who is also a lactation consultant) checked Boone out...no redness in the throat, no ear infection, chest sounds good, no fever...starts asking me questions about how he eats.
Does he hiccup? Yes, quite a bit.
He has also been pulling off of me and then back on while he's eating. He's also been very squirmy when he eats. And really likes being held upright most of the time.
It was all making sense. The only thing is Boone does not spit up. She informed me they do NOT have to spit up to have acid reflux. And because of the reflux it was causing his cry/voice to be scratchy and hoarse. Seriously? I was told he had the croup!
So Boone is now on medicine for his reflux...bummer. But it won't be forever and it will help him- I hope. Poor guy.
So I had to expose my 3 month old to the sick waiting room because I had called the nurse line and was told he had croup and was contagious. Awesome. I am very thankful I went to find out what the real problem was and get some help for him. So moms out there trust your gut, your motherly instinct, the good Lord gave it to us for a reason.
By the way Boone is 15 lbs 3 oz I guess the reflux is not getting too much in the way of him eating.
Comments
sorry b has reflux, but your right about it not hindering his eating.
love his little chubby chubs.