The Fishing Rod

Wyatt has a little plastic fishing rod that he LOVES. Actually we are on our third one. Andy and I took him to Tellico Plains about a month or so ago and he caught his first fish (with a little help from Daddy) it was so exciting.
So we thought we would get him a little plastic fishing rod to play with and practice on. I found one at Big Lots for $5 -what a deal. Well it did not last long...like 1 day. Andy super glued it and that didn't work. He duct taped it and that didn't work. There was no hope for the Big Lots fishing rod. So Andy remembered he had an extra one in the attic, like a real fishing rod. He got it down and put this little magnet piece on the end. It was great except it was definitely one that Wyatt would have to play with outside. A couple of weeks ago we were playing in the backyard with the fishing rod and Wyatt kept getting frustrated because the fishing line would get all tangled up and then he would have a hard time reeling it in, it was just a mess. We had gone inside and I had left the fishing rod outside with the fishing line all over the place, I told Wyatt that we would have to get Daddy to fix it. Andy had mowed the grass that day and now he was on to weed eating. He came to the door and told me we had a little problem. He never saw the fishing line (how could you) and got like 100 feet wrapped up in the weed eater. Oh my goodness it was hilarious. Thank goodness Andy has a great attitude about these things and it only took him a few minutes to cut it out of the weed eater. So we decided to retire that fishing rod until Wyatt was a little older. So we are now on our third fishing rod...from the Dollar General Store for $2. Yesterday I hear Wyatt in the bathroom and I found him with the end of the fishing rod in the toilet with a bunch of toilet paper that he decided to put in there. (This all happened in less than 2 minutes.) Instead of getting upset that now here is all this toilet paper that has been wasted and we all know the price of toilet paper has gone up too, I looked at this as a teachable moment. I asked Wyatt why he put the fishing rod in the potty and he told me in so many words because there was water in there. My little man had the right idea however I told him we only put "poo poo and pee pee" in the potty, again a teachable moment. So the $2 fishing rod has not broken-yet-but it's just a little wet!

Comments

notes of em said…
I wish you had taken a picture of him in action! He is so cute. I want to squeeze him! Of course he was fishing in the toilet. Thats where we put all of our fish growing up.
LOVE the story about Wyatt fishing in the toilet! Priceless! Great picture of Andy and Wyatt with the fish!

Popular Posts